Connect with us

Your Guide to Visas, Work Abroad and Remote Work Success.


How to Get a Canadian Work Permit


Work Abroad

How to Get a Canadian Work Permit

This Post Could Contain Affiliate Links. This means I could Get Paid if You Purchase or Subscribe to a Service Through My Link at No Extra Charges.

How to Get a Canadian Work Permit

When you are looking for a job in Canada, you may be wondering how to get a Canadian work permit. There are several options, including Employer-specific work permits, an Open Work Permit, or a Bridging Open Work Permit.

In this article, we will go over all of your options and answer some of your most frequently asked questions. After reading this guide, you should feel better prepared to apply for a Canadian work permit and begin your new life in Canada.

Employer-specific work permit

An Employer-specific work permit in Canada is a type of employment visa that allows foreign nationals to work for a specific Canadian employer.


While the Open Work Permit is valid for employment with any employer, it is not allowed for individuals to work for employers on the IRCC’s list of ineligible employers. An Employer-specific work permit in Canada is specific to an employer and requires a specific job offer from that employer.

Before applying for an Employer-specific work permit in Canada, a Canadian company must complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

An Employer-specific work permit in Canada may have several disadvantages, such as limiting the bargaining power of workers. It has been proven that TFWPs in Canada result in poor working and living conditions, and the workers are reliant on their employers. The benefits of an Employer-specific work permit in Canada can outweigh its disadvantages.

Applying for an Employer-specific work permit in Canada can be a long process. You may need to apply online or in person. Be sure to gather the appropriate documents to ensure that you are applying legally.

Be prepared to wait a few weeks for a PR decision. As the process of applying for a Work Permit in Canada is highly legal, it is recommended to seek the help of a work permit visa consultant.

After completing the application form, ensure that all required documents are attached and that you have paid the fees on time. It is important to remember that processing times vary depending on the country and location where you live.


Make sure you check the website for your application status and the processing time. You can also contact the IRCC’s Help Desk for assistance in preparing your application. When you have completed the necessary steps, you can submit your work permit application.

Click Here to Apply for Employer-Specific Work Permit

Open Work Permit

Whether you are applying for a spouse visa or for a partner’s work permit, there are some common requirements you need to meet. For example, you must be married or in a common-law relationship with a permanent resident of Canada.

If you are married, the conditions for applying for a spouse’s work permit are the same as for an independent person. You may also qualify for an open work permit under the International Experience Canada program, which is open to young adults from outside Canada.

The age range for these applicants depends on their country of origin, but they are typically between 18 and 35. Having a valid and up-to-date passport is also required, but you must apply before your 35th birthday to be sure you can stay in Canada.

Inadmissibility is rare, but it still exists. To apply for an open work permit, you will need a job offer from a Canadian employer. You should begin applying as early as possible and contact different companies before accepting one.

Use online resources or pay headhunting services to find a suitable job. Once you have your work permit, you may switch employers. An open work permit allows foreign workers to stay in Canada while they wait for their permanent residence decision. Click Here to Apply for an Open Work Permit

This type of work permit does not specify which employer you work for, and you can change employers during this time if you wish. Moreover, you can bring your family members with you if you wish to work in Canada.

Make sure you include them in your application so that they can be evaluated as members of your family. There are two types of open work permits: unrestricted and occupation restricted. If you have a diploma from a Canadian institution, you may apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

Read – How to Live and Study in Canada

Bridging Open Work Permit

The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is a temporary visa that allows an applicant to work in Canada while their permanent residence application is being processed.

It is a critical component of the immigration process as it allows you to stay in Canada while your application is being processed. You can work while your permit application is being processed, and you will be able to pay your rent and utilities while you wait.

In order to obtain your BOWP, you must have a valid acceptance certificate from your employer, and you must have a copy of your nomination letter.

The BOWP does not guarantee approval of your PR application, so it is recommended to apply early. Depending on your circumstances, you may also be able to obtain a bridging work permit for your spouse, however, this would require a separate application.

Read Also: 20 best schools in the UK for UK Student Visa


Bridging Open Work Permit program was initially designed to allow foreign workers to continue working in Canada while their permanent residence application is processed.

The goal of the program was to eliminate the time limit for a permanent residence decision. This is a significant change since it has allowed foreign workers to work in Canada even after their temporary resident status expires.

Once your nomination letter is received by the IRCC, you must submit all the documents you need to apply for the BOWP. You must include your nomination letter, the acknowledgment of receipt letter you received from IRCC, and photocopies of your current immigration documents. It is also necessary to submit a letter of employment from your employer. Click Here to Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit

Extension of work permit

If your current work permit has expired or is due to expire, it is essential that you apply for an extension. If you can, apply at least 30 days before the expiry date. Be aware that different situations require different forms and procedures.

For example, you may need a new work permit if you recently accepted a new job offer. In this case, you should apply for a new work permit, as it will have different conditions than the original one.

The process to extend a work permit in Canada is relatively easy. To do so, you must complete Form IMM5710E, which is specifically designed for these circumstances.

In addition to the application itself, you will also need to submit proof that you submitted the application on time and paid the required fee. The proof that you provide will be sufficient for your employer, so you should make sure to provide it as soon as possible.

The Process

The process for applying for a work permit extension varies depending on your country of origin and the type of work permit you are applying for. Depending on the circumstances, processing times can take a few weeks or several months.

The simplified LMIA is only available in Quebec. Otherwise, regular LMIAs are processed on a case-by-case basis and take a minimum of five months. The processing time depends on your country of residence and the type of work permit you have.

A Canadian work permit extension can be a challenge if you have completed a program in Canada. However, there are ways to get one if you have completed your program and have not yet applied for permanent residency.

You will want to check whether biometrics are required for your application. If you have already received your work permit, it is not a huge hassle to renew it for another six months. All you need to do is follow the instructions provided on the Canadian immigration website.

Read – How to Get the Right Immigration Attorney

More in Work Abroad

To Top